Early Orthodontic Guidance Program
Some orthodontists might recommend that you wait until your child has all of their permanent teeth until they see an orthodontist. We couldn’t disagree more. At Frigo Orthodontics, we believe in the importance of early orthodontic treatment to ensure your child’s dental health and well-being. We’ve created our Early Orthodontic Guidance Program specifically to assist you in making informed decisions about your children’s orthodontic care.
What is Early Orthodontic Guidance Program?
Early orthodontic treatment, also known as interceptive orthodontics or Phase I, aims to guide the growth of children’s jaw and teeth. This proactive approach is the core of our Early Orthodontic Guidance Program, which addresses bite and alignment issues before the jaw bones fully harden.
Early treatment for crooked teeth and other orthodontic issues can produce more favorable long-term results. It’s crucial to bring your child in before their late teens, as orthodontic treatment becomes more challenging when the jaw stops growing. Waiting too long may result in severe dental health problems for your child later in life, like potential root canals, oral surgery, or even the possibility of tooth extraction.
When should my child see an orthodontist?
While the ideal age can vary based on individual factors, the American Association of Orthodontics recommends that your children have their first orthodontic evaluation no later than seven. Because your child’s teeth and jaws are still developing, we can detect and intervene in potential orthodontic issues early.
Signs your child should see an orthodontist
Bringing your child to an orthodontist for an early evaluation is essential. Our Pre-Orthodontic Guidance Program allows our experienced orthodontists to assess your child’s dental development and identify potential orthodontic problems. Early detection can prevent more severe issues in the future while helping us create a personalized treatment plan for your child.
The AAO recommends an early evaluation before seven, however, particular signs may indicate that your child should see an orthodontist even earlier. These include:
- Early loss of baby teeth
- Delayed permanent teeth
- Difficulty chewing or biting
- Mouth breathing
- Thumb sucking or other oral habits
- Crowded or crooked teeth
- Jaws that shift or make sounds
- Speech difficulties
- Uneven wear on teeth
Benefits of early orthodontic treatment
At Frigo Orthodontics, we believe in the power of early orthodontic treatment to positively impact your child’s oral health and overall well-being. Our Early Orthodontic Guidance Program offers a range of advantages that go beyond just addressing orthodontic issues. Let’s delve into the various benefits of early orthodontic treatment for your child:
- Guiding jaw growth and alignment: If your child has alignment or spacing problems, early orthodontic treatment can be vital to guiding the development of their jaws. We can help ensure that the upper and lower dental arches develop proportionately, preventing undue widening or narrowing.
- Optimizing permanent teeth position: Orthodontic braces for children are a powerful tool in guiding permanent teeth into their correct places at an early age. This proactive approach can decrease the future need for comprehensive orthodontic treatment, simplifying your child’s orthodontic journey.
- Preventing dental complications: Early use of braces can prevent tooth impaction and ensure sufficient space for missing teeth that have yet to erupt. Addressing these issues early can safeguard your child’s dental health and prevent potential complications.
- Correcting speech and breathing problems: Misaligned teeth or jaws can lead to speech problems, abnormal swallowing, and mouth breathing. Early orthodontic treatment, including orthodontic appliances, can help reduce or eliminate these issues, enhancing your child’s communication and overall well-being.
- Eliminating harmful habits: Early treatment can be instrumental in breaking unhealthy habits like thumb sucking and tongue thrusting, which can harm teeth and bite positions. By addressing these habits early on, we create a more conducive environment for healthy dental development.
- Reducing the risk of dental injuries: Protrusion of front teeth on the upper jaw can increase the risk of injury and trauma. Early orthodontic treatment can address this issue, providing further protection for your child’s teeth and oral health.
- Long-term dental health and confidence: By addressing orthodontic concerns early, we can prevent or reduce dental problems in the future. Improving your child’s oral health can boost their confidence and self-esteem.
We’ve designed our Early Orthodontic Guidance Program to provide your child with the best possible start to their orthodontic journey. Our friendly team can help you communicate the importance of orthodontic care to your child while emotionally preparing them for any necessary treatments. In addition, we’ll work with you to establish a financial plan that best serves your situation.
Take the first step towards your child’s future and schedule a consultation today. Our expert orthodontists will assess their needs and design a personalized treatment plan to guarantee the most comprehensive and compassionate orthodontic care. Set your child up for a lifetime of radiant, self-assured smiles.